Monday, September 28, 2015

NOT everything gets a.......Feather




Yes, I love to draw and stitch feathers...


But, not every quilt I make gets a feather!


Check out my hexagon quilt:


Textagon Quilt

The text and number fabric in this quilt speaks volumes.

The quilting design of wavy lines does not compete

with the fabrics.






The big circles on this baby quilt make a strong impact...







One continuous circle of quilting allows the big circle 

appliqué to be the center of attention.  

My machine quilting does not compete with the circles,

it rather enhances the overall design.






Contemporary quilts can benefit 

from simple straight lines.

This quilting design is straight lines that cross over

to create squares.




I don't believe I have EVER stitched a feather

into any of my art quilts...


Again simple wavy random lines can be all

a design needs...

















When you have created your own fabrics 

with surface design techniques...

you need to allow them to shine.

Keep your quilting design simple

to allow your fabrics to be the star of the show!




This is our sweetie pie......Gunnr





Here is Gunnr in fabric and thread:


 If you look closely at the thread work...

it is very basic, almost unnoticeable.

This won a contest and was included in

the Quilting Arts Calendar.

The simple stitching allows Gunnr's wonderful expression

 to be the main focus of this art quilt.



I do love stitching feathers...

but, not on everything!








CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,

LuAnn Kessi

4 comments:

  1. Excellent points! Although I do go overboard with feathers, there are times I try to rein myself in. Thanks for the great examples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. Your quilts are beautiful and the quilting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh.....you have just given me an idea.....feather. (PS your rust work is beautiful!)

    glen

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is funny that you note that not everything needs feathers, when I am spending the day practising making feathers. It is not as easy as it looks! (and I love Gunnr's bat like ears..)

    ReplyDelete