Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Whole Cloth....Machine Quilting



The Design Work on paper is complete...




This is all 3 layers of the whole cloth design...






Layer 1.....Basic Design Lines






Layer 2....Feather Motifs






Layer 3......Fill Work




Now I am ready to 

transfer the design to fabric:


I am using a light box...

blue pen to trace the design onto fabric.






The basic design lines are all I need to trace...

Now to baste the quilt sandwich and 

get it under the needle.






The basic design lines are quilted...






Now I am ready to 

free motion the feather motifs....






I am moving right along with the 

feather work....






I know you will be asking what these are?






I found this set at the thrift store 

a few months ago...

they are wonderful for free motion work!

They really grab the fabric with very

little pressure from my hands.





The feather quilting is done...






Now it is time to begin the fill work...






The fill work compresses the background down 

and

makes the feathers pop even more....yummy!






Lots of micro stitching in the fill work....






The fill work is complete...

all I have left to do is the border areas.






Ralph and I are ready to call it a day...

it is 7pm and we want our dinner.






By the way...







Good night from Ralph and I...


We are working yearling cattle today 

so I won't be sewing.

I will post images of the complete 

whole cloth quilt soon.


This is my first attempt @ whole cloth and 

I am liking it a lot.





CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,


LuAnn Kessi

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your entire process here. It is very helpful for those of us still on a steeper learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh is this an amazing whole cloth quilt. I'm absolutely in love with it and hope you are too. Love your planning, designing, quilting...and that Ralph was there to assist as needed, as well as encourage. Poor guy, looks totally exhausted. I hope you have a good day with the yearlings.

    QuiltShopGal
    www.quiltshopgal.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Quilt Shop Gal,
    Well aren’t you the nicest girl….very kind comments…..thanks so much! Yes, we worked yearlings today and moved them across the river to spring pasture. I took lots of video and posted it the blog for tomorrow. Have a great evening.

    My Best To You,

    LuAnn Kessi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Спасибо! Прекрасная работа.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, all that gorgeous quilting plum wore out Ralph!!! He definitely needs dinner and a nap! I am in awe of the quilting you do on your domestic machine!! Love the designs you chose and I can't wait to see it with the borders all finished!

    ReplyDelete